Merry Christmas
This is what we have felt and learned about Jesus since we came to Jerusalem:
| Pa Elder Neal A. Maxwell once said that in many LDS homes the men are theologians while the women are the Christians. So it is at our house. In Galilee I decided that I would teach at night the passage in Matt. 14 about Peter walking on the sea. I determined to provocatively declare that I could walk on water too. I could, I am sure, if Jesus were beckoning me to come as he did Peter. In other words, my answer to the Savior’s question, “where is your faith?” is, it’s in Him (Luke 8:22). I would have no problem stepping onto the water at his invitation. I’m sure that I’d make some progress and then get distracted by the boisterous wind. I would fear and begin to sink. But I would know what to do then. I’ve done it hundreds of times. It’s what Peter did. “He cried, saying, Lord, save me. And immediately Jesus stretched forth his hand, and caught him” (Matt. 14:30-31). I have faith to cry to Christ to save me and He always does. “I know in whom I have trusted” (2 Ne. 4:19). Jennifer spoke beautifully to the students at our last meeting with them. She tenderly shared gratitude and then reminded them of the character Veruca Salt from Willy Wonka. We call her the “I want woman.” “I don’t care how, I want it now,” is her refrain. Jennifer invited the students to determine to be “I will” men and women, to say to the Lord as He said to His Father, “I will do thy will.” She’s been subtly teaching me that lesson with her choices to live a consecrated life set apart to unselfish, godly purposes since our first prayers together as newlyweds. I noticed that I tried to talk God into seeing things my way while she asked to be reconciled to His will for us. The Bible Dictionary says that “prayer is the act by which the will of the Father and the will of the child are brought into correspondence with each other. The object of prayer is not to change the will of God, but to secure for ourselves and for others blessings that God is already willing to grant.” The Savior is the Supreme Example. We love and pray for you and are grateful for you. | Mom This last semester Brother and Sister Skinner have been the academic directors here at the Jerusalem Center. I have learned so much from them and admire them. Sister Skinner is often asked what her favorite site is here in the Holy Land. Her quick response is ‘the one she sees around the dinner table’. Shortly after arriving we went to Jericho. Standing on the ruins of multiple civilizations dating back to the dawn of man I couldn’t help but feel how many lives and memories existed here. How many dinner tables filled with joy, laughter and sorrow. Again as the students put together 10,000 humanitarian kits to be dispersed locally I reflected on the fact that each bag will have a story, lives that will be touched. Walking home from the Orson Hyde Park the faculty and wives were talking and sharing wonderful insights when Brother Skinner left the group and went over to talk to some children who had been following us. He bent over to ask their names and chat with them. At that moment in my mind I could see the Savior on these dusty, dirty roads taking the time to be with the children. The children here have a light in them. The future is bright. Steve has shared with me what his Grandpa Marvin Harper taught him: There is no limit on love. As Grandpa’s posterity grew his capacity to love grew. I have felt this as 82 strangers came into our lives this semester. These students have touched our lives and will always be a part of us. A few days before they left we were at the Garden Tomb and Steve asked them to try and guess his favorite Christmas song. When they finally guessed “The Little Drummer Boy,” Steve explained why. “I am the little drummer boy,” he said. “I have no gift to bring that’s fit to give our King.” To our surprise, that night in our last meeting with the students for the semester, they surprised us by standing before us and singing the most beautiful rendition of the The Little Drummer Boy I have ever heard. That experience is one of the most spiritual moments of my life. So this Christmas season know that our love goes out to each of you even if we aren’t sitting around the dinner table together. Merry Christmas and thanks to each of you for the love you have brought into our lives. |
| Hannah Marie This year has been the hardest year ever. I broke a rib at the end of October have consequently been wondering why God would put me here and then let me get painful injuries. I’m also rubbing shoulders with a lot of unsavory and unavoidable people at school. I’ve been doing some soul searching, and discovered a new side of the Savior’s atonement I hadn’t thought about before. First, Jesus’ atonement was infinite, and the worth of my soul is infinite, therefore, even if I was the only sinner, Jesus would have suffered all that pain just for me, because he loves me infinitely. Second, not only did Jesus suffer for my sins and yours, he also suffered for Herod’s sins, and Julius Caesar’s sins. He was willing to give his life for the very people who hunted him from birth and who killed him. | John In Galilee I had lots of fun and a great time. During that time there were three bonfires. The first one was roasting marshmallows and telling scary stories. The second one I didn’t go to because I was tired and had sprained my toe. The third campfire was a little lesson by the professors and then testimony sharing time for about an hour. I learned a lot that night. |
| Abby Coming here was the first time I can remember moving. It has been hard in lots of ways but it has also been great. I am glad to learn so much of the Savior here. My favorite time here was when we went to Galilee. When I looked out at the sea I remembered that Jesus Christ once walked on the water. Being here has really changed me a lot and I am glad that we came. | Seth |
| Thomas | |
Love, the Harpers,
Jennifer & Steve, & family,
Hannah Marie, John, Abby, Seth & Thomas
No comments:
Post a Comment