After school I was itching to do something so we made a quick trip to Gethsemane. There is a giant church with murals on the front. On each side is a garden. The larger one was locked, I guess you need an appointment so we will check it out another day. The smaller garden is small, smaller then my yard. I guess I had imagined a hill side covered with ancient olive trees. Perhaps in times past this was true. The garden does have trees that date back to Christ's time. We arrived during mass. The kids were able to go in and listen. I remember going to a Catholic mass as a child. It was very strange to me. I can't imagine all the things going through each of there heads. At the school they have a religion class twice a week that goes over the main world religions. They started with atheism. Hannah marked up her papers like she was preparing for a debate tournament was was wishing she was aloud to debate. John was pretty disturbed as was some of the other professors kids. Welcome to world views! I am thankful for prayer and the comfort and peace it can bring.


A very old olive tree.
The front facade of the church is so massive I couldn't get a full shot. It sits on the side of a hill with a very busy street right in front of it. The best shots are from the other side of the valley. To the right of the church are massive cemeteries. (Ahh, perhaps this is what happened to the groves of olive trees I was expecting) The cemeteries are solid stone. Not a blade or stem of green. They don't even put flowers on the stone boxes, instead they leave little rocks. I guess they bury the dead quickly here, no preserving of the bodies.
This is the larger garden to the right of the Church. We will have to go when it is open. I guess there are some tunnels and old things to see as well.
This is the smaller garden, it is like a court yard with stone walls around and path ways.
Home sick with a bad cold and missing church. Thought I'd see if you had posted something and look at all you've seen and done! Jennifer, I will experience wonders through your eyes. Thank you for your posts and your comments. I ache to visit Israel....first, Nauvoo though. I understand from a traveler's magazine that this is a great time to see Israel....no crowds...and the safety is better than one might think. Wish most of all to visit this Gethsemane. Thank you and miss you. E.
ReplyDeleteJennifer, I see my posts say unknown. E is my shortened signature of Elaine Kemp.
ReplyDelete